17 novembre 2017
After a rather very long break, I just restarted working on Freewill. I always like to step away from a project for a while : it helps you spot problems in your code or design whenever you have those « what the f*uck is this code doing? » moments! I had a few of those and this will make the code much cleaner hopefully! Besides, one very bad design decision I made early on will be corrected!
I am also currently adding (as you can see) more and more examples.
Expect Freewill by Xmas!
P.S. And expect it to be 100% Squeak compatible as well! ;)
7 décembre 2016
Ce soir, dans le cadre du petit défi (tous mes articles concernant le Ruzzle sont ici) que j’avais relevé il y a de ça belle lurette, j’ai dépassé le cap des 630 millions de grilles générées à l’aide de mon algorithme génétique Freewill sans avoir encore pu dépasser la marque de la meilleure grille de ruzzle (comportant 1634 mots) établie par Didier Müller. J’ai trouvé plusieurs fois des transpositions des 2 meilleures grilles que lui-même avait trouvé mais je n’ai jamais pu faire mieux!
La recherche de cette meilleure grille va tout de même se poursuivre jusqu’à ce que j’aie terminé la première version de Freewill mais à moindre vitesse! Il est temps que je me réapproprie quelques CPUs de mon ordinateur!
22 novembre 2016
Not much new code was done since the last update. But since I usually like to put my projects aside for a while just to have those « WTF-was-I-thinking » moments looking back at my own code, I took some time to scribble a skeleton of a FAQ and design a logo.
So coding of Freewill restarts today… with a fresh look at my code!
14 octobre 2016
Thanks to Twipply, ZirconiumX and JoshS (regulars of ##chessprogramming on IRC), I finally decided to go ahead with my chess engine named Gnochon! At first, development will be slow as I am still working on Freewill and plan on finishing it before mid-November.
In case you asked, Gnochon is a French slang word in Quebec meaning someone *really* stupid!
(click on image to enlarge)
3 octobre 2016
I’m done working on the 8-queens problem. But while I was at it, I though I’d try something a little bit harder to solve.
(Click on image to enlarge)
Eight queens is fun. Ten queens is better. But 30 queens is even better!
2 octobre 2016
(Click on image to enlarge)
After a break from Freewill (I like to put projects aside for a while, it gives me another perspective on my own code!), I just came back to it yesterday. I had a few WTF moments (it’s usually a good indication that your code is not clear!), renamed some methods with imprecise names, cleaned up some of Ruzzle’s crumbs that were sprinkled everywhere, refactored code here and there, looked at what Code Critics came up with and corrected some of the issues, ran a few tests and finally got fed up by performance issues.
I got rid of the SharedRandom number generator that was previously used in Freewill. This resulted in a huge speedup! From what I measured, the Random class is 2.1 times faster than the SharedRandom one! This change alone brought a performance boost of 31-48% ! I also cached the cumulative weights for the Roulette Wheel selection policy which gave me a 14% speedup! There are still a few things I want to optimize here and there and my estimates tell me I could get another 15-45% speedup.
I’ll start adding tests to cover all policies (creation, selection, crossover, mutation, termination) to make sure the next changes don’t break anything. This will also give me reproduceable tests against which I’ll get more precise statistics to measure performance. I will also start working on another example, most likely the 8 queens problem.
To Do List Until Next Update
- 8 queens problem
- Policies Tests
- Speed up Roulette Wheel selection
- Start to add class/method comments
- Code 2-3 more termination policies
- Think about Freewill’ community (Google group? Mailing List? Repository? etc.)
8 août 2016
(Click to enlarge)
Freewill already shows very good results!
My heart just stopped when I read the last results on the Transcript! I had done it! 1634, my goal, had been achieved ! I had broken Didier Müller’ record! The maximum number of French words a ruzzle grid could contain was 1634!
The joy didn’t last long! I quickly realized that I had only equaled Müller’s record (see his results here), finding just another transposition of the 2 grids he had found.
But it’s promising! The same iteration also found a grid with 1625 words in it, which is still better than Müller’s second best! I’m currently setting up parallel workers to run 5 genetic algorithms at the same time. And this time, I’ll be looking for grids with more than 1634 words!
I want to break that record!
 Note: for those who are wondering what I am talking about, I explain that ruzzle quest here (in French).